The Historical Society of Frankford’s event is a free-form conference of members and friends of the Society who have researched various aspects of Northeast Philadelphia history and can bring the lore to bear in explaining the importance of maps, deeds, prints, and other documents from our special collections, plus a few items from our museum. The public is cordially invited to come, enjoy the occasion, and interact with the featured researchers.
Sunday, October 7, 2018, 3 – 6 p.m.
Historical Society of Frankford
1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia
RSVP info: email@example.com
The special collections of the Historical Society of Frankford, the closest thing to a definitive collection of materials on the history of Northeast Philadelphia, will be open for examination, as will be our museum of neighborhood artifacts.
Committed participants so far include the following, with notes on their organizations or most recent research, which are just representative of their knowledge of local history:
Jeffrey Cohen, Term Professor in the Growth and Structure of Cities Department, Bryn Mawr College, on our unusual collection of “Philadelphia Suburban Homes” prints, ca. 1889.
Robin Irizarry, Philadelphia Watershed Coordinator, Tookany-Tacony-Frankford Watershed Partnership.
Prof. Matthew Smalarz, Chair of Humanities and Social Sciences, Manor College, on oral histories of Frankford Creek.
Robert Penn, on his distant uncle William Penn’s interesting financial arrangements to create the colony that changed the world.
Fred Maurer, on Peter Dalbo, a case of incorporation of a Swedish land holder on the governing council.
Fred Moore, on Pennypack Creek through Swedish, Dutch, and Quaker control.
Roland Williams, on native American artifacts found along Pennypack Creek.
Tom Dayton, on his ancestor Peter Cock’s role as principal translator between Swedes and Lenape, and Peter’s son Lasse Cock’s role as principal translator between Swedes and Quakers.
Jean and Spencer Allen, on the history of Campbell African Methodist Episcopal Church, the second oldest extant AME Church.
John Buffington on some idiosyncrasies of documents in our special collections.
The Grand Army of the Republic is also having an open house on October 7; theirs is from noon to 3. They’re close to HSoF at 4728 Griscom Street, and garmuslib.org.